Thursday 5 February 2015

Giving people a reason to smile is simply wonderful.

My column in the Herald Express 4th February 2015

The Monastery Berry Drive Paignton

As a bright-eyed student, so many years ago, I thought that I might have a vocation for the Catholic priesthood. By the time I had escaped from college it was clear that I didn’t have a vocation and so I lurked quite happily in the secular world. People who know me then asked why I didn’t test my vocation and all I can say is that I found it hard. However as part of my course I spent a month or so teaching at Saint Cuthbert Mayne School Torquay and whilst there bumped into a newly ordained priest from the Marist House of Studies that was then housed in Monastery Road Paignton. As a consequence of that meeting and my possible vocation I spent a little time visiting what we now refer to locally as the Old Monastery. At that time it was the home of some very clever academic priests and a simply stunning library.

The Marist priests and nuns had a long association with Paignton with many local ladies educated at the Marist Convent School Paignton in the building that is now occupied by Tower House School. Indeed until twenty or so years ago Marist nuns were still providing teaching staff at the Sacred Heart School in Paignton under the leadership of Sister Monica O’Brien.

A few weeks ago the nuns running Stoodley Knowle School announced that it will shortly close ending over eighty years of teaching in sixty-five acres of picturesque woodland overlooking Anstey’s Cove. Times change and so much of what we have always taken for granted quietly slips into history as fewer people seek the celibate life within the religious world.

Recently I've become engaged with a number of people who have been looking at old church buildings and how they might be used for the good of the community. One leader in this field is Andrew Richardson of W4G (Working for Good Communities (http://www.w4gcic.net/ )). He has been actively looking at the development of socially inclusive entrepreneurial system that is ethically based within unused or under used church buildings. These buildings tend to be in the middle of communities that have often been battered by the economic downturn and therefore offer an excellent hub for community re-engagement.

The other day I happened to be walking around the gardens at Oldway Mansion and looked over the valley toward Winner Hill. I noticed the statue above the Old Monastery sparkling in the afternoon sunshine. It seemed to call me and so I nipped over for a long overdue visit.
The chapel at the old Marist House of Studies is now the home of Anode (http://www.anodecharity.org.uk). I had recently been in contact with Anode’s founder Nigel Williams and had been captivated by their mission. This is what they say about themselves.
“Anode is a Charity that provides a holistic service to help an individual through challenging times by engaging with one or more of our programmes. We look to build a foundation that encourages self-belief, independence and responsibility. Our Motto is ‘Changing Lives, Giving a Voice & Fighting Povertyand we are passionate about helping out where needed. We recognise that each individual is unique and we are committed to helping people connect with HOPE!”

A member of the Anode community gave me a quick tour of the chapel building showing me the food bank store, the meeting rooms, kitchen and counselling area. The last time I had been in the lovely chapel building was back in 1970 and at the time was hugely warmed by the spiritual energy of the chapel which was at that time a house of prayer. I have to say that what Anode is about still captures that magical spirit but in a very different way.

We live in troubled times and those on the margins of our society seem to be being pushed over the edge on a daily basis. The crushing deprivation that drains hope from so many has to be stopped and to do that it needs all of us to pay careful attention. Look out for those around you who might be in danger.

Organisations like Anode, W4G and others help to bring hope. Building communities by developing employable skills from within seems to me a way to create a more hopeful future. The Anode Smile Maker programme is such a platform and giving people a reason to smile is simply wonderful.

Keep the smile.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another reason to smile, in a church, in Paignton...

    @TheCraftWorks
    @DartmoorTweed
    https://twitter.com/DartmoorTweed/status/562394091657633792

    ReplyDelete