Thursday 1 August 2013

Let's Celebrate The Positive!


My stuff in the Herald Express 25th July 2013
 
Within our local community we all have a duty, in my opinion, to contribute personal energy. Let us celebrate the positive rather than the negative and not to be knocked down by nasty spiteful comments. Oddly enough the recent fine weather has brought a smile to many weary faces who thought that hot summer days locally were simply a distortion of ancient memory! When we look back the sunny days do tend to dominate.

 


As I start to write I suddenly noticed that my mobile device has less than 3% power left and the power source in another place. The summer sun has yet to climb over the distant horizon and yet the day is already very warm making me feel a little like my mobile device waiting for energy boost to kick in. Every two weeks, usually in the early morning light, I gather an eclectic mix of local happenings to shape what I want to share on this platform.

 

That made me reflect upon the energy levels within our community and what we have that provides the much needed power boost to drive us all forward. The phrase "What floats my boat" comes immediately to mind because it is so much easier to travel with the things that bring us joy rather than the things that, like a Harry Potter Dementor, suck at the very spirit mercilessly.

 

You would have to been in an isolated place for the past six or seven years not to notice that for the majority of us these have become difficult and very challenging times. I say for the majority because there are quite a few who cruise on regardless not challenged by the fiscal twists and turns that have reduced the energy levels of so many. I've spoken before about the words of the Lakota Indian philosopher Joseph Marshall and his simple yet energising message that we must all keep on going. But what keeps us going when the gradient is painfully steep?

 

Years ago my doctor decided on a new course of medication for me. I queried why I would want to take them. His answer was that they might make me live longer. Of course I questioned why that mattered to which he said that it would help my natural curiosity as to what comes next! That is a truth for all of us and is a reason for keeping energy levels high by greeting each day with enthusiasm. That is hard to do at times but attempting to keep a smile when you really don’t want to is a good starting point!

 

Three things brought a smile to my craggy face recently. On a sunny Saturday morning recently I found Paignton’s family friendly beach packed with rowing gigs from all over the South West. Hundreds of people watched enthusiastic teams rowing close to the beach under the banner of Paignton Gig Regatta. Torbay was at its sparkling best that day with a clear blue sky and wall to wall hot sunshine. Paignton Rowing Club appears to be attracting increasing numbers of folk on the water and it is an absolute joy to see so many local young people participating. There has been much talk recently about the Olympic Legacy and it has to be said that it is very much alive and kicking at Paignton Rowing Club.

 

Other refreshing experiences included a visit to the Robert Owen Communities team based on Steamer Quay Road in Totnes. ROC is a unique organisation doing some wonderful work. In their own words say “ROC exists to help as many people as possible, throughout the UK, who have learning or similar disabilities to be who they want to be. ROC believes all people with a learning disability should have the chance and the support to be able to do what they want to do. ROC will work towards making this happen. ROC will do this by valuing and supporting all people who use our services, and those who support them.” For me the phrase ‘To be able to do what they want to do’ is such an important message for all of us.

Sometimes things happen that really do inspire and recently I was asked to present certificates at the annual presentation for the learning opportunities students at South Devon College. They had all worked so hard to achieve awards and to see so many also getting DofE Awards (Duke of Edinburgh’s) had me smiling for days. Wonderful achievements and the celebrations were really inspirational. I was certainly inspired!

It is all too easy these days to look at what isn’t going too well and decide that the whole world is in much the same state. But it isn’t! By all means point out constructively things that seem not to be for the greater good but we must constantly seek the exciting and innovative work being done quietly by so many locally.

Keep the smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment