Saturday 10 September 2011

They say that pride comes before a fall.....





So let me tell you about something that could have been nasty but turned out to be very funny and somewhat humbling. I'm getting older by the day and because my mind, according to my daughter, is saying one thing and my body another things don't always turn out the way they should. Jess noticed the problem watching me run upstairs. I have always found it almost impossible to walk up stairs and always want to take them three at a time. My mind accepts that but these days my body simply can't facilitate! The mind says three whilst the body says two and down I go in an undignified heap.


In attempt to keep breathing I walk/jog the dog through the woods when I can. I say when I can because the kids also want to do the same and of course I stand back, usually with gratitude and let them do the business.

Anyway on this slightly damp afternoon I jogged around the local woods that too few people share these days. Now if it is damp I tend to put on my ancient mountain boots for added traction. But this day I didn't bother because the effort was simply too much.


So I'm coming down this steep bank and lose my footing. I don't fall but do crash out onto the path in front of a young maid walking a large brown Labrador. Nice dog and attractive maid offering the ideal macho moment. Having regained my balance I brush the leaves and twigs from my hair and smile confidently. She asks whether I am OK; obviously concerned for this curious geriatric semi-jogger. Of course, in a very masculine way, I confirm my fitness to jog on.

I don't get very far before slipping on the wet mud and diving headlong into a dirty ditch next to the path. For a little while I remain still amongst the roots, brambles and smelly water waiting for the pain to come. My embarrassed dog has wandered off, obviously not wanting to be associated with the ageing idiot in the ditch. The Labrador lady arrives and expresses immediate concern for my well being.

I gingerly lift myself damply from the ditch and all seems well other than a few scratches, some minor bleeding and throbbing shoulder.

But all isn't well and I ask her, somewhat pathetically, to help me search for the missing pieces of my over inflated ego in the hope of regaining something of my lost dignity........she laughs and wanders on whilst I gather my hound and limp pathetically home......

I think that I could still hear her laughing when I eventually staggered out of Occombe Woods...

I will leave you with that image!

No comments:

Post a Comment