Friday 22 April 2011

A Single Tear





A single tear ran down my cheek this morning as I read a Western Morning News (Good Friday 2011) headline “Anglican Priest Makes Catholic Switch”. It seems that Moretonhampstead Anglican vicar and father of eight, with a ninth on the way, is to be ordained as a Catholic priest. So why do I have a tear running down my cheek this morning?

The tear is for all the young men who had a vocation to the celibate Catholic priesthood, giving up the joy of married life and the pleasure of children. Now for them the knowledge that it’s OK to join the club via the backdoor and be a married Catholic priest.

I guess what has caused me to raise an eyebrow is that Father Hellyer is only forty-five whilst most of the other switchers have tended top be rather ancient.

When I was young I thought that I had a vocation to the Catholic priesthood, but my director of vocations suggested that I might be best to work through college first. I met my wife at college and that was the end of my priestly route!

I have a friend who would have made an excellent husband and father but became a celibate catholic priest. We meet from time to time and experience a sort of sliding doors moment in wondering where we might be had the roles been reversed.

Perhaps now is the time for a change in the Church of Rome and allow priests the option to marry or remain celibate. Accepting married Anglican clergy without first allowing Catholic priests the opportunity to marry seems to me to be a little unkind.

Having said all that I would like, as a Catholic, to welcome Father Hellyer to the Church. Perhaps his arrival will trigger a change and that celibacy in the Catholic priesthood will become an option rather than a requirement.

Cristos anesti!


No comments:

Post a Comment